What Makes Great Teaching?

     Being a teacher is more than just showing up to work, teaching a planned lesson and then clocking out for the day. Teaching is about making an impact on students and genuinely wanting success for them. If we take the time to really learn about our students, learn about their culture, their family, their stories and experiences then we are already making the magic happen. By learning about our students, we develop a better understanding of them and we can use that to adjust our teaching in the way that works best for them. Coming to class with an open mind is important as well, when we remove any judgement and replace it with interest then students will feel more comfortable in the classroom. If a teacher can make students feel welcomed and safe in the classroom, then they are already being great. It's also important to always check in with students and see if they're understanding the material. If they're not, then don't give up until they do, find ways that meet their type of learning whether it be verbal, visual, auditory or kinesthetic. Lastly, making lessons fun will keep the students engaged and excited to learn about the material being taught. When teachers learn about the class, understand them and do what they can to ensure a safe, happy environment in the classroom, then that's the perfect example of great teaching. 




Comments

  1. Hi Alyssa! This blog was so wonderful to read! I can tell how clearly motivated you are to be the best teacher possible for all of your future students. I also agree that we need to learn about our students' backgrounds. Like we have discussed all semester, whether it is related to language, race, culture, economic status, etc. it is crucial that we as teachers are aware and respectful of our students differences. We also need to be aware of how our students learn like you said so that we can ensure they are successful. We must combine their learning styles and their life experiences to create curriculum that benefits all students and not just a select few. Also, by doing this kids are much more likely to be engaged and to want to participate in their education. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Like you said by not learning about all students and not just a select few, we are also making school more equitable for everyone! That kind of environment will make learning so much more motivating for students.

      Delete
  2. Hello Alyssa,
    What you said really sets the teachers job apart from any other. Where instead of it being a duty, teaching is something that is done out of love and for the children's well being. As we saw in the modules, there was a big emphasis on learning about the students and adjusting lessons to their needs. It is about being involved in their outside of school lives and using that to help students develop into great adults. It is important to not be biased and not fall for basic stereotypes. Every student is different with various backgrounds. Our job is partially to learn of them and how to integrate it into the classroom. Not only us as teachers should learn, but we should also teach the other students about these differences and how to respect them. We find ways to keep students engaged and learning, as well as create a safe, family like environment. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alexis! It's so important to also teach students how to be respectful of others and to embrace differences because the impact it will have on them in the long run will also be positive and incredible. Also by doing that and creating a safe environment, students will hopefully love learning and also learn to love each other.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alyssa! You did a great job on your blog. I completely agree with what you said about learning about our students. It is important that we take the time to learn important details about our students because it will help us teach them better. I also like what you said about the teacher making the students feel safe and welcome in the classroom. I have always believed that the classroom should be a safe space for students. No matter what is going on in their personal lives, I want my students to be able to come into my classroom and feel at home. I also think it is important for us to interact with our students and make sure that we know if they are doing okay outside of school. Students should feel comfortable enough to come to their teacher with any issue they are having. Overall, you did a great job explaining what makes great teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madison! Thank you. It's really important for me to create a safe space, I never want anyone to feel out of place. Instead I hope my strategies will encourage equal treatment, kindness and support from all around.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alyssa!
    You make so many great points. Teaching is so much more than just going to school and lecturing, it is getting to know our students as individuals and doing everything we can to help them be successful. I think that taking the time to truly get to know each and every one of our students, learning about their backgrounds, and striving to make genuine connections with them is a key component in being a great teacher. Students must feel safe and accepted in their classroom in order to really learn to the best of their ability. I also agree that making adjustments is often necessary to ensure the success of our students. Every students learns differently, and it is important that we recognize that and strive to find ways that help the students learn best. I agree that it is so important as teachers to never give up on our students. Great teachers encourage their students and are always supportive of them.
    -Lauren Shoemake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren! Connection is definitely important in the classroom because once a student feels welcomed and knows they play an important role, then the learning experience will hopefully be so much more smooth for them. Forming a connection also helps understand what each student needs to succeed.

      Delete
  5. Alyssa, you and I have almost the same exact aspects of what makes a great teacher. In my checklist, I included, making adjustments to fit students needs, checking on students throughout the day, learning about where students come from, and providing a safe inclusive classroom. All of these points are what it takes to make great teaching and I thought it was interesting how we decided on all of the exact things. One of the most important things to know as a teacher is that all students are different. They all have different stories, different resources, and different ways of learning. A great teacher will take all of these ideas into consideration to make the most out of the school year. Teachers are seriously underestimated for what they do. I believe it is a lot of hard work to juggle at once and to do it effectively and seamlessly. I love that you mentioned that teaching is about making an impact on students because we never know what goes on when the students are out of the classroom. Teachers can be the uplifting inspiration to a child’s learning and teachers have the most interaction with them 5 days out of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reanna! I'm so glad you and I are on the same page. I agree, teachers are definitely underestimated, they build us into who we are today and I don't think people realize that and how much teachers have an impact on our lives. I know you will be a great teacher!

      Delete
  6. Hey Alyssa! This was such an awesome post! The gif really got me excited to read it, haha! Your post was so moving. You are absolutely correct when you say teaching isn't just a job. It's a passion, and it is so rewarding to be there for our students! We seemed to have the same outlook when it comes to being a teacher. One thing you said that really spoke to me was making sure we let our students feel welcomed in our classrooms, which couldn't be more true! A child will be more eager and excited to learn if we make it a happy and safe, as well as engaging environment! Another thing you said that I really liked was making sure we check in on our students. Every student learns differently, and that means some may learn slower, or not understand as easily. We definitely want to make them feel safe in letting us know if they ever need extra help, and after reading your post, I know kids will feel safe around you! You're going to be an amazing teacher someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maddie! I'm glad you liked the gif haha. Checking in with students is pretty important in my eyes because not only is it checking on where they are at in the course but it could also help us understand the bigger picture and figure out if there's any obstacles occurring in their life that we can help with so that they can get the best experience they can! Thank you, you will also be an incredible teacher someday! :')

      Delete
  7. Hi Alyssa,
    I really loved reading your post and agree with everything so much. Learning about our students and their stories is key to becoming the teacher that they need us to be. If teachers go to class and don't know a thing about their students, how are they able to connect the way they need in order to educate? Each student is unique and deserves to have a teacher that truly cares about them. Although we are the educator in the classroom, there is so much that we can learn from our students, that is why keeping an open mind is so important. Also knowing the ways in which each student learns best is so important, although it may take a while to learn about each particular one, that does not mean we shouldn't take it into consideration in each of the lessons we create. Providing a safe and fun environment for our students is key to building the connection that our students deserve to have in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jazmin! I like how you and I agree on so much! My favorite teachers have always been the ones who have taken the time to get to know me and form a connection with me, they are the ones who left a life long impact on me. I hope to someday be like that and create that safe space for my students as well!

      Delete
  8. Hi Alyssa,
    I loved your post, you made a lot of good points. Teaching is about making an impact on students and wanting them to be successful. I agree with you about how we need to learn about our future students to get to know them better and get to understand them, and we can use that to adjust our teaching in a way that works best for our students. I want my future students to be able to come to me for anything they may need. Another point you made was when you said that making your students feel welcomed and comfortable can make a complete difference in the classroom. If a classroom doesn't feel safe and comfortable it can make a student feel overwhelmed and on edge every time in that class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bri! I never want any of my students to feel anxious or uncomfortable to show up to class, that's why I think showing that I care for them and will do whatever I can to help them succeed is super important. It also involves a lot of patience, and if we can show that to students who struggle, they would know that I would never give up on them.

      Delete
  9. Hi Alyssa, you have written an amazing post here and I think that we have the same though prodded for a lot of the points that you made in this blog. I also believe that in order to be an affective teacher you should first get to know your students rather it be you learn their interest, the name of their pets, or their cultural practices. When teachers are able to connect with their students on a personal level they are able to instill a sense of trust and respect in their classrooms. As well as when you are able to get to know your students there is a higher possibility that your students will feel more comfortable in your classroom where they feel like they are able to be themselves and have fun wile learning. And I think that you did an amazing job at describing the fact that the relationship between a student and teacher should not feel forced but feel comfortable and natural.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts