How can educational philosophies influence schooling?

Think about it, from elementary to high school we were encouraged to attend school daily and sit through multiple lectures and let's be honest, we didn't enjoy most of it. I remember multiple times when I didn't want to attend class because it was just so boring, but there was some classes that I did love to go to because the teacher made it fun for me to attend. Schools expect students to learn and keep information locked in their brains but they don't shape their curriculum and lessons around the needs of students, they forget that students are all unique and have their own ways of retaining information. When teachers focus on more teacher-centered philosophies, they're totally neglecting the engagement students need to understand what they're being taught. However, if teachers focus on more student-centered philosophies, they can have the same effect on their students that my English teacher had on me. My English teacher was great, everyday he had a lesson planned and we all had work to do, but the reason it was fun to go was because he spoke to us like he was our friend. He would make jokes with us and never get mad or raise his voice, so everyone always felt comfortable in his classroom and everyone got work done. He was teacher of the year once because everyone loved him that much. If teachers are more focused on the lesson they're teaching, then there will be no genuine connection between the teacher and students. Not to mention, the material in lessons is usually outdated, schools keep reusing the same lesson plans. There's always something new to learn about today's world and how to survive in it, so I think that should be included more in schools. So, I think if educators focus more on students, teach them about relative and modern material and learn the ways that they are able to learn best, then schooling will be more successful and students will love learning and coming to class. 

Comments

  1. Hey Alyssa! Great post! I could totally relate throughout your whole post. I was that student that strived to get perfect attendance. I don't know why but it seemed that the boring school had a chokehold on me and I strived to get that paper that said "Kenzie Jones, Perfect Attendance." It was something that I wanted but some years I wouldn't get because of family emergencies or because I would get sick. I soon began to realize that it wasn't so important and that if I needed a mental health day or a day where I needed to stay in bed because I was sick, that it was okay to miss school.
    I too, had a teacher that had such a great impact on my life and made me realize that there are teachers out their that do want to develop relationships with their students. Mine was my English teacher as well! She was the absolute best and she had the sweetest southern accent. She knew everyone's names and she would always take about 10 minutes in the beginning of class to just check in with us and see how we were doing. I genuinely enjoyed her class and I chase that dream everyday of becoming a teacher like her!
    -Kenzie Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet that she started class with checking in on her students, that proves that she actually cares about her students and building relationships with them. I hope to be that teacher one day.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alyssa! I loved this blog post! I related to it a lot because I too had some really boring classes, but also a few teachers who stuck out because of the vibe their classroom had. I agree that so many lesson plans used today are outdated. This is because of teachers who desire a more perennial style of teaching, and this makes very little sense to me. I understand that our country's history is important and should be taught, but like you said, there are so many important things going on in the world, and we as educators need to be able to discuss things things and connect them to the past. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa! I enjoyed reading your post. I hated that we as students were always expected to understand things easily and if you would ask a question it would mean you aren't smart enough. I don't understand why schools are strict. A lot of people believe that if you don't receive a college degree you aren't good enough and they wont make money to survive and succeed in life. Education is a very explosive topic. The teachers that only used old lessons to educate my classmates and I on, we would be bored out of our minds because we needed something new and more engaging. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post! I can definitely relate to the fact that growing up some classes were just plain boring. Some teachers are really good at engaging their students in the lesson. Even if I did not like the subject, if the teacher made it fun I was already more engaged than other classes. I am so glad you had a teacher who inspired you. This is so important. Teachers are role models and should have a connection with their students! Having a connection with your students can make the world of difference for them and even yourself. I loved that you said that something is new in the world daily and that it is important for students to learn about it. I completely agree and want to teach about relevant events in my classroom! It is important to remember that yes you are teaching the students but that they are also teaching you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyssa,
    I also had a teacher who spoke to us like we were old friends. He was my Latin teacher, and he incorporated several different teaching methods. We would work in groups and watch videos. His lectures were short, and he encouraged collaboration. His teaching philosophy seemed to mirror progressivism, because he always asked for our input on the lessons. I remember it was one of the only classes I truly liked going to. I learned so much from him, because he motivated me to learn. He was the newest teacher in the school, and I can’t help but wonder if that was the reason why. He was fresh out of college. When I think about who I want to be like when I become a teacher, I always think about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Alyssa! I really enjoyed your personal experience you shared because like you many of us have experienced that amazing teacher. I feel that is why some people want to become teachers and educators. I also when younger and till a little now hate sitting in a boring lecture reading books that some higher up decided was best for us to learn. It can be frustrating and creates a lack of motivation to learn or even do anything. That’s why some students decide to just shut down and stop listening. When you just feed students information without even a brain break they tend to shut down and loss motivation! So it is important that we keep them motivated and interested in the topic. This can be through discussion or fun lesson plans that are relate to the information trying to be taught! Anyhow I loved your j by log and I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alyssa, Thank you for being so open and honest in your post. I really resonate with your mentioning of that one teacher that makes you really love attending and being at school. I think everyone has experienced at least once in their life a teacher that makes school feels less like school. For instance, Mrs. Tuttle would always ask our class if we preferred if the lights were on or off before a lecture began. This tiny gesture made me feel like my opinion mattered. The fact that she wanted to accommodate our needs set her apart from other teachers and that was just one small example, yet it's so memorable to me. I never experienced a teacher that really cared enough to break the invisible barrier between teacher and students. Simple acts of kindness can more powerful and attention-catching than we realize and teachers are no exception to that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts