What Is The Purpose Of Schools?
Going to school everyday used to be so exhausting for all of us, some days were harder than others. We can't forget to mention the common joke everyone would make, "When am I ever going to use this in real life?!"
If you think about it, regardless of the subject, if it weren't for our continuous education, we wouldn't be who we are today. When we're just small children our minds and personalities are still growing and developing which is why it's the perfect time to begin teaching subjects such as reading, writing and math. Reading and writing is especially important because it teaches us language, different vocabulary words and how to spell them. From there on the possibilities are endless.
The reason it's important for us to attend school and gain an education is so we can succeed in the outside world and be presented with endless opportunities for success. Of course we don't learn everything there is to know in the world, I mean who could? However, with the knowledge we do gain, it leads us into interests of our own, develops personality and helps us form dreams to chase and follow.

Hi Alyssa! I really like the introductory of your blog post answering, "What is the Purpose of Schools?" I will like to point out that me myself was not of one those kids that will make that common joke. I just went to school exhausted of course, and did what I had to do no questions asks. Now that I am in college I can clearly see how those core classes that you mention are very important for our success. Looking back to a short video that I watched called, "Education in America: 17th to 18th Century and integrating the last sentence of your blog post it got me realizing...how true it is! If it weren't for schools back then trying to teach girls to cook and sewing how will they know what they really wanted to learn. Maybe what they teach us in schools isn't helpful in the real world but the experience for sure is.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment that schools teach us basic skills such as reading and writing. Those are two necessary ways as humans we communicate with each other and move forwards as a society. School gives us the chance to communicate with each other and be more proficient in language.
ReplyDeleteHello Alyssa! I loved your blog post, it made many valid points and it was easy to follow. I can definitely agree that I have made the comment myself of "when am I ever going to use this in the real world". It helped me to actually see those applications of school in real everyday life, and we can all agree that without school we wouldn't have been properly equipped to handle basic tasks in adult life.
ReplyDeleteA lot of kids minds are like sponges, most love to learn and soak up all of the information presented to them. Not only is this a good quality, but when you are expected to learn new information everyday, this mindset that learning is fun definitely makes things a more enjoyable experience for both the teachers and the students. This gives the perfect opportunity for success for kids to be set up for the future wether it be to middle school, high school, and to life or college.
DeleteHi Alyssa! I love that you mentioned the classic “when are we going for going to do this” line. There were so many moments when the learning felt pointless or unnecessary, but even in those moments we were gaining valuable lessons we couldn’t even recognize. Young children are easily impressionable, creative, and inspired which can be harnessed to create something so beautiful anf powerful. Lessons I learned in elementary school still influence my life just as much as the lessons I learned in higher education do. For many kids, school is their only source of stability. It is incredibly important that lifelong responsibility, respect, and self esteem skills begin developing at a young age.
ReplyDeleteHey Alyssa, I defiantly Agree with you that the poupous of early education is to teach us basic skills like reading and writing, and I really like the fact that you brought up the classic line that I'm sure we have all said at one point in our life , "When will I use thing" and I think that this line is used mainly in math or science based subjects where we realize when we are out of those classes that there are principles and rules from school that we use on a day to day basis that we don't realize. There are also times where we learn things in the community of our schools and not necessarily in the classroom, like communication and social skills.
ReplyDelete